Monday, April 27, 2009

Bloody Mary, a hangover heaven

Admit it. Just reading the words "Bloody Mary" has whet your appetite just a little, right? My lips are smacking now. I should have that checked out.

Everyone, everywhere thinks that theirs is the best. But mine is. No, really.

The key to the yumminess of it is the -delicate balance- of some key ingredients: the sweetness of the tomato juice, the tartness of the lemon juice (quarter ounce per serving, no more) and to not go overboard with too many modifiers like hot sauce or worcestershire, which need to be there, but just a little.

Here are the ingredients and how to make one:

1.5 ounces of vodka
dash of salt and pepper
5 dashes Tobasco
2 dashes Wocestershire sauce
4 ounces of tomato juice
1/4 ounce lemon juice
optional: teaspoon horseradishe (New Yorkers like this)
dash celery salt (again, just an option)

In a mixing glass (a pint glass, clear) , combine all these ingredients. Now gently roll them back and forth into your metal shaker. Gently. Don't make it foamy. Foamy drinks no good.

Strain this into a large glass filled with ice (pint glasses are always good)

Garnish.

Have fun with the garnish. This can be where you get creative. Traditionally a lemon and lime wedge is great (cuz people can squeeze more citrus into their drink), but so are skewered olives, small pickels, baby carrots...When I worked at Bergdorf Goodman we would garnish with a huge roasted prawn! How is that for a wow factor!

I'm off to brunch. It's 8pm.
Tally. Ho. -The Professor

p.s. I had thought to include to include the Bloody Mary history here, but there are many versions. I thought instead that you all should write me your favourite version of it and I'll publish my favourite three!

No comments:

Post a Comment